Sports and life share some characteristics. Both require continual learning, and to get to the top you need some exceptional determination and perseverance.
Going half-in or finding people to blame for your failings will not do. There is no such thing as luck either. Luck is merely when opportunity meets preparation.
So any athlete who has made it to the top of their game have something special in them. Whether they care to admit it, or maybe they don’t know what it is, they have it.
We can all learn a lot from them. While some are cocky and brash, we can still take into account what they say. If they are coining quotes, it’s worth taking a close look and seeing if there are any nuggets of wisdom we can use.
I have put together a list of quotes from some of the most influential athletes this planet has seen. There are some absolute nuggets here, and will certainly give you something to think about.
25 of the Best Quotes from Highly Successful Athletes
- “I’ve never known anybody to achieve anything without overcoming adversity.” American Footballer, Lou Holtz.
- “Procrastination is one of the most common and deadliest of diseases and its toll on success and happiness is heavy.” Ice Hockey Player, Wayne Gretzky.
- “Today I will do what others won’t, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can’t.” American Footballer, Jerry Rice.
- “Always turn a negative situation into a positive situation.” Basketball Player, Michael Jordan.
- “Mental will is a muscle that needs exercise, just like muscles of the body.” Long-Distance Runner, Lynn Jennings.
- “You owe it to yourself to be the best you can possibly be – in baseball and in life.” Baseball Player, Pete Rose.
- “I learned that if you want to make it bad enough, no matter how bad it is, you can make it.” American Footballer, Gale Sayers.
- “The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don’t play together, the club won’t be worth a dime.” Baseball Player, Babe Ruth.
- “Whoever said, ‘It’s not whether you win or lose that counts,’ probably lost.” Tennis Player, Martina Navratilova.
- “The more I practice, the luckier I get.” Golfer, Gary Player.
- “Never give up, never give in, and when the upper hand is ours, may we have the ability to handle the win with the dignity that we absorbed the loss.” American Footballer, Doug Williams.
- “It’s not bragging if you can back it up.” Boxer, Muhammad Ali.
- “Don’t be afraid of failure. This is the way to succeed.” Basketball Player, LeBron James.
- “Everything negative – pressure, challenges – is all an opportunity for me to rise.” Basketball Player, Kobe Bryant.
- “The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning.” Soccer Player, Pele.
- “You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.” Tennis Player, Arthur Ashe.
- “If you can believe it, the mind can achieve it.” American Footballer, Ronnie Lott.
- “You’re never a loser until you quit trying” American Footballer, Mike Ditka.
- “A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.” Martial Artist, Bruce Lee.
- “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.” American Footballer, Vince Lombardi.
- “The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.” Bodybuilder, Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- “It is not the size of a man but the size of his heart that matters.” Boxer, Evander Holyfield.
- “If you fail to prepare, you’re prepared to fail.” Olympic Swimmer, Mark Spitz.
- “Never give up! Failure and rejection are only the first step to succeeding.” – Jim Valvano
- “You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take.” Ice Hockey Player, Wayne Gretzky.
This was a guest post from Phil Ashton from SelfDevelopmentJourney.com where he blogs about self improvement, careers, relationships and much more.